The subsidy will provide a grant of up to $1,000 per month to cover the monthly lease rent (based on the rent paid as of March 1, 2020), with a maximum of $2,000 per household. The rent subsidy will be paid directly to the tenant’s landlord on the tenant’s behalf. This program will be available to renters of multifamily rental housing who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Residents of the City of Los Angeles, regardless of immigration status. To verify if you live in the City of Los Angeles, go to neighborhoodinfo.lacity.org;
- Households that can provide proof of tenancy;
- Household annual income at or below 80% of Area Median Income (AMI) level prior to the COVID-19 crisis; and
- Households that can provide documentation of loss or reduction of income due to COVID-19 after March 13, 2020.
- Not to impose any interest or late fees for rents owed.
- Not to evict the tenant for 6 months after the Declaration of Local Emergency due to COVID-19.
- Not to impose a rent increase during the repayment period, which covers one year after the end of the Emergency Declaration.
Landlords cannot apply for the rent subsidy on behalf of the tenant but are encouraged to refer their tenants to apply. Landlords will be notified when their tenants are approved for the program, as well as the specific months of rents that will be subsidized. A landlord must agree to waive any late fees, interest, or other fees. Landlords should also be aware of the COVID-19 emergency renter protections that prohibit charging interest or late fees on unpaid rent due to COVID-19. Learn more here: hcidla.lacity.org/covid-19-renter-protections.
Click here to read more about the program: https://hcidla.lacity.org/